0

USA State Flag Mnemonics

Published on Thursday, October 14, 2010 in , , , ,

Richc80's picture of the flag display in front of St. Patrick Catholic Church in Brooklyn, IowaEven while I was putting together my new Memorize USA Facts section, it occured to me that it was missing a section on the US state flags. Since I couldn't find a ready-made resource that helped remember the state flags, I decided I had to develop one myself.

The result is the new State Flags section of the Memorize United States of America Facts page.

I create simple mnemonics for each flag designed to come to mind quickly, as you look at their design. To help in quick identification, I also tried to avoid requiring too much attention to detail to the flags.

Even with simple mnemonics, learning 50 flags can still seem overwhelming. To overcome this, I broke the flags up into various groups, each with some aspect in common, such as unusual shapes or simple designs. This resulted in a group of 7 videos, each teaching less than 10 videos, to make it easier to learn at your own pace.

Here's the shortest video of the group, focusing on states whose flags reflect state features, to give you an idea of how this works:



To makes sure you can come up with the mnemonics under tim pressure, I've included sporcle's US state flag quiz.

I'd love to hear any comments you have about this new section.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Post Details

No Response to "USA State Flag Mnemonics"