0

Happy 100th Birthday, Boy Scouts of America!

Published on Monday, February 08, 2010 in , , ,

Boy Scouts of America logoYep, I'm posting a day late. Why? On Feb. 8th, 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was first incorporated. They're 100 years old today!

I was a Boy Scout myself, and have many fond memories of those years. One of the things scouting is definitely responsible for was helping instill a love of the art of magic.

Sure, TV specials featuring magicians helped quite a bit, but I really didn't get into it until I learned from Bill Severn's magic column (click any issue to see its magic column) in Boys' Life magazine. It was there that I truly learned the difference between how an audience perceives magic and what is actually happening.

During my Cub Scout years, I went for my magic merit badge (yes, there really is one), and I performed a trick where someone stacked 3 dice, and I could instantly give the total of all the hidden sides. Admittedly, I've been a math and magic geek for a long time now. Given the basic idea of the routine, can you figure out how it was done?

Funnily enough, just a few short years after my time in scouting, Bill Severn wrote up a trio of dice tricks that probably would've made my routine even better.

It's kind of fun looking back in Boys' Life at other interests I've developed since my scouting days. Originally, I don't think I noticed many of the memory articles, but they sure are interesting to read now.

Happy 100th Birthday, Boy Scouts of America!

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Post Details

No Response to "Happy 100th Birthday, Boy Scouts of America!"